Why stop with basic chocolate chip cookies when you can stuff them? We started by stuffing cookies with mini Oreos, but we’ve also had great success with caramels, peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets and Milky Way bites. On our list of things to try are Junior Mints, Snickers bites, and mini peanut butter cups.
This recipe for saucepan cookies is easy to make with kids. There’s no mixer required! While grownups will need to help with the stove and oven work, kids can do the rest of this on their own. There’s plenty of measuring, scooping, pouring, and stirring to go around, not to mention the fun part where you fill and shape the cookies.
The directions in this recipe call for mini Oreos, but your cookie stuffing is up to your imagination!
SAUCEPAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
(makes about 30 cookies)
- 1 stick butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 3/4 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 c. mini chocolate chips (see note)
- 30 mini Oreos or other cookie stuffers
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. When the last bit of butter melts, remove pan from stove.
- Stir in both kinds of sugar.
- Let cool 5 minutes. While you wait, gather and measure the dry ingredients.
- Stir in egg and vanilla.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix well.
- Make sure dough is cool. While you wait, gather up your mini Oreos or other cookie stuffers.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Use a cookie scoop to remove balls of dough, then divide each ball in half. Flatten on a sheet of wax paper.
- Place an Oreo on half the flattened dough disks.
- Using the remaining disks, cover each Oreo, then carefully mold the dough around the cookie so no Oreo is showing.
- Assemble your stuffed cookies on a baking sheet (I like to line my baking sheets with a silicone liner). Leave plenty of room between cookies.
- Bake 9 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on pan 5 minutes before removing them to rack.
Note: It’s easier to mold stuffed cookies if mini chocolate chips are used. If you’re not stuffing the cookies, use 1 cup of any chocolate chips you like, and the cookies should take only 8 minutes to bake.
Nutrition information for cookies only. If using mini Oreos, add 2.5 carbs per cookie to total.
This article was originally posted at RealHousekeeping.com.
Copyright 2015 Barb Szyszkiewicz.