For her last night at home before leaving for college, my daughter requested her favorite home-cooked meal: chicken and dumplings.
This is my variation of the Cracker-Barrel chicken ‘n’ dumplin’ recipe from Todd Wilbur’s Top Secret Restaurant Recipes. It can be made in a pot on the stovetop or in a 4-quart roaster oven set at 200. Sometimes I add 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables to the broth; this is not included in the nutrition label for the recipe.
Chicken & Dumplings
Makes 6 servings
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 tbl dried minced onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbl dried parsley (or 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley)
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
1/2 tbl lemon juice
1. Make gravy and set to simmer.
2. Mix dumpling dough and let rest 10 minutes.
3. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness.
4. Cut dough into 1/2-inch squares. Drop into gravy.
5. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes until thick. Stir often.
Nutrition note: I use homemade chicken broth in this recipe, so the actual sodium values are much lower.