This gingerbread is a fun recipe to make with children. They’ll get a kick out of the bubbly batter and spicy aromas. If you want to add ground cloves to deepen the flavor, 1/8 tsp is plenty.
Makes 20 servings
1 cup sugar
1 stick margarine, softened
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup boiling water
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp allspice
- Grease a 9X13 pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment or waxed paper. Preheat the oven on to 350.
- Mix together the sugar and margarine in a big bowl. Add boiling water and molasses.
- Mix together the baking soda, baking powder, flour, and spices in a smaller bowl. Slowly pour the flour mix into the bigger bowl. The batter will be very bubbly. Stir until all the lumps are gone.
- Add eggs and mix.
- Pour the batter into baking pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, testing for doneness after 30 minutes. (A piece of raw spaghetti works great for this!)